Many Colorado landlords struggle with the idea of whether they want a property management company overseeing their investment.
On one hand, it’s nice to be involved and know whats going on. On the other, when things aren’t going well, your phone is ringing constantly and you have non-stop anxiety over dealing with whatever is going on in addition to all your other responsibilities. During those times, it’s easy to make the decision. From a casual poll of property owners who have teamed up with property management, these are the top five calls they don’t miss getting:
- “My heat/AC isn’t working.” HVAC is one of those things you don’t give much thought to until there’s a problem, and it usually happens on the hottest or coldest day of the year.
- “There’s a lot of water on the floor.” This is usually the start of the conversation, and then you have to play guessing games to figure out what’s going on. Did the toilet overflow? Is there a broken pipe? Maybe the roof is leaking. Water problems are one of those problems you can’t put on the back burner. They must be dealt with immediately.
- “My neighbor is too __________.” You fill in the blank. Noisy, smelly, inconsiderate, and the list goes on. It’s hard to know when to get involved in disputes between tenants, and it’s never fun.
- “I won’t have my rent until next week.” Chasing down rent is one of the worst tasks, especially from a tenant who chronically pays late. The excuses can get humorous, but the hassle is no laughing matter.
- “I know the lease said no pets but…” People are forever signing a lease and then asking to change the agreed upon rules, and many times it’s about pets. One cute little puppy can’t hurt anything, right? Wrong!
Whether you’ve been managing your own investment properties and have experienced these calls before, or are just getting into the game and are not sure you want to handle these types of issues, a property management company will take these calls so you don’t have to deal with them. Enforcing the lease, dealing with maintenance needs, and collecting rent are just a few of the tasks that they take care of so you have more time and less stress.
In the Denver area, Legacy Properties-PM is happy to take these calls. For more information, contact us.